Hockey Rules

This blog is designed for those who appreciate the coolest game on earth. Soccer may come close, but ice hockey has the speed.

Search This Blog

Sunday, March 7, 2010

This is the Hockey Tattler. Or perhaps I am the hockey tattler. What's a tattler? Wiki defines it as a person who likes to gossip or "telltale". That last word is more to the point - telling tales. The Tatler name was actually coined by Richard Steele and Joseph Addison in 1709; their magazine, published three times a week in London, is considered to be the precursor of English prose novels.

Jonathan Swift was a Tatler contributor, 27 years before the publication of Gullivers Travels. So, first, I doff my helmet to Messrs. Addison, Steele and Swift. And, so, let us proceed. Tattler On.

This is the beginning of a dream that started 54 years ago on double runners. Along the way, I got to know Ogie Oglethorpe (or the actor who portrayed him). I took many photographs of college hockey. I spent thousands of hours on the ice, skating and doodling around. I've coached kids and teach them the ONE secret to good skating which eludes almost all beginners. I still love to cross over backwards both ways. There is a feeling one gets gliding on ice which defies description.

Recently, a constellation of events motivated me to consider acting on the dream. I love to kibbitz hockey, any time, any place, any subject. So, why not put the words on paper (or its internet equivalent, web-logging)? With a little extra time on my hands, and in the midst of the 2010 Olympics reaching a 4 (or 30?) year fever, I decided to contribute.

Perhaps I can shed some light on the coolest game on earth. Perhaps I can help others to understand why so many people love this game. We are not alone.

Hockey Rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment